The city of Cluj-Napoca, in Cluj County, is one with a long and glorious history that still makes its people proud. It was mentioned as a free city as early as 1316, when prince Charles Robert of Anjou granted it a series of rights and privileges, among which the freedom to chose its own priest and vicar. The expression of that privilege was the building of the famous Saint Michael’s Church, one of the most representative monuments of the city.
At 70 m long and 80 m high, the church towers over the entire center of the city. Its construction, which was carried out between 1316 and 1390, with a second stage following between 1410 and 1487, was such an important endeavor that there was even a papal document, dating from 1349, offering the absolution of sins for those who financially supported the building of the cathedral.