Legend has it that centuries ago, a group of Teutonic Knights left the nearby village of Prejmer and settled in what is now Sanpetru. These so called “one hundred of Prejmer” are said to be founders of this lovely Saxon village, but it wasn’t until 1240 that Sanpetru was first mentioned in a document as Mons Sanctis Petri (Saint Peter’s Mount).
Today, Sanpetru is a sleepy, but charming village, located just five kilometers from Brasov, and well worth a visit.
The citadel of Sanpetru was built in response to the devastating 1432 Turkish invasion, which destroyed most of the village. Local peasants banded to construct a defensive structure with 8 meter high walls, to which five towers and a deep moat was added in 1610.
Sanpetru was frequently afflicted by fires, such as that of 1625, which destroyed the village’s precious archive, or those of 1658, 1760, and 1769, which caused many casualties.
The village is situated in a beautiful natural setting, with rolling hills covered by lush forests. A botanical reserve was established on the nearby Lempes hill.
Dinosaur fossils were discovered in the area nearby Sanpetru in the 19th century, making it one of the first places in Central Europe where paleontologists research was conducted.
The Evangelical church of Sanpetru was built in the 13th century and rebuilt in 1795, following damage sustained in the previous decades. The edifice is a typical example of a Saxon fortified church, but differs from other similar constructions through the prominent presence of the village’s coat of arms. The church, dedicated to St Peter, hosts one of the earliest organs in the regions, built in 1820.
The St Nicholas Orthodox Church was erected between 1781 – 1784, with a bell tower being added at the beginning of the 19th century; the church is decorated with interior and exterior murals, and exhibits
elements of the typical Romanian “brancovenesc” style, combined with rustic details.
The Lempes hill is known as an ideal place for practicing paragliding and hang-gliding. Hang-gliding has been practiced here since 1925. A monument dedicated to the para-gliders and hang-gliders of Romania can be found in Sanpetru.
The Lempes hill botanical reserve – due to its location within a depression and to the dry soils, several rare plant species can be found on the Lempes hill. The area is also known as Fortress Hill, and is a popular place for hikes and picnics.
In the area
Tour the old town of Brasov
A host of historic monuments dating from the 15th to 17th centuries are open for visitation, many located around Piata Sfatului – the Black Church, the Hirscher House (16th century, a place of gathering for the city’s merchants), the old city hall (now the city’s history museum), the Mureseni Memorial House, the St Nicholas Orthodox Cathedral located in the Schei district, and more.
How to get there Sanpetru can be visited by bus or by car, but you can also get there by renting a bicycle from one of the rental centers in Brasov.